Monday, May 18, 2026

Small town Sunday

 We got up slowly, had a yummy and generous Sunday breakfast, late as usual, and then I got this message from a friend: Hubs is performing with his ukulele group from 11 to 12. See you there? she wrote at 10:50.

I knew he played the ukulele, though I have to say I wasn't terribly inclined to hear a concert, but hey! we're friends! You get our support!!  It was already 11:10 and the venue was but 5 minutes away, so off we went. They are of course a bunch of amateurs who just love playing their instruments, but I did wonder what John Denver would have thought of their rendition of  "Country Roads."


And it was serendipitous since the performance was right near our plot in the Stadtgarten (the city garden) and we hadn't been able to go the day before to clean up our little rose plot because the rain had started. So we took our tools for a double do.


Turns out, it was also a "Kutterpull,"  a contest between rowing clubs, rowing a REALLY HEAVY wooden boat, 10 rowers and a coxswain in each, in the Weser. Small town entertainment, and small town fun. There were a couple of stands with Brats and beer and crepes and coffee and lots of family and friends of the ukulele choir and the rowers. 


After cleaning up our plot, we watched the first run where the red boat CREAMED the green boat, but it had got drizzly and colder and we were done. Not sure who finally earned the cup.

But glad we were there to cheer on the locals. 



No comments: