Thursday, May 14, 2026

Museum Visit

 Sundays are quiet here. Practically everything is closed - can't do grocery shopping, can't go to the department store, no electronic or book stores are open. When I first moved here, I thought that was dumb? silly? crazy?  I think that no more -- I am totally on the side of Keep Shops Closed on Sundays. 

Restaurants are open. Museums are open. Busses and trams and trains are still taking folks here and there and everywhere. All the parks are free to wander. Otherwise, there is little traffic. 

So. Last Sunday. Our local museum had a tour planned and we made plans to be there! There was a new exhibit; the museum director was also the curator for this exhibit, and from past experience we knew she'd be full of information and interesting observations about the art. We were not disappointed!

The artist's name is Akkela Dienstbier. (Yow. Some name! I tend to translate last names into English, and you can do that with lots and lots of names here. This one means literally "service beer" but is either someone who makes a weak beer or someone who serves beer in a pub. Neither are particularly nice terms for a person.) 

She works with mixed media - dried plants, paint, ink, paper, canvas, photos, stitching (!). They paired her works with some evocative works from their collection by the Overbeck artists whose works are the core of the museum. 




She combined some natural elements - dried flowers, dried thistles - with frame fragments. The lighting adds to the impression. 








As expected, we were impressed by the art and the tour (and tour guide!). I got a few inspirations to try on my own.

What we can't do is replicate the swing on the upper floor of the building. I tried it first, then Werner. The seat is perfect! Just a little  curved to fit your bottom just right, the ropes long enough to give you the sense of swinging like you did as a kid. It's intended to give the visitor a bit of fun and a different view of the art. And it does? It does! 


So, good bye till next time. It's always a pleasure to visit this little, lovely museum.



No comments: