Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bounty

It seems there has been a lot of everything this year: blackberries were big and juicy, the apples can't be picked fast enough, and if we had squirrels to speak of here, they would be in acorn heaven.

And now it's time for walnuts. There was a mature walnut tree in our back yard when we first moved in and before the apartment house was built. I'd seen black walnut trees, but not the English walnut. I learned quickly that you wear gloves to collect them - the husk must be the source of the dye because it will color your fingers for months!

So, we don't have a tree anymore, but we have friends! And since we let them borrow our bike rack last week, they paid us with some of their bounty! These beauties are resting and drying on top of the radiator now and by late November we'll be ready to use them for holiday baking. YUM.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have bazillions of black walnuts this year! Was it all the rain or has the tree matured just enough? Who knows? But part of our yard looks like it's been pummeled by balls. I think our squirrels are lazy and will happily try to raid our bird feeder rather than husk a few nuts.

Sharon said...

Send me squirrels. I know for you they're mostly "tree rats" but I miss them.