Sunday, July 26, 2009

Recycling

You know how Germans love to be green. The Green Party is a partner in several state governing coalitions. Recycling is second nature to most. But there's a disconnect here I have yet to understand.

Once a year, each household in Bremen can arrange for pick up of large things they want to discard. So when someone moves out, decides to buy a new bedroom set or such, the old stuff goes on the street for the trash pick up! Now, of course, that is an open invitation for the flea market dealers and the simply curious to go through the treasure pile. I'm not immune.












After the neighbor across the street moved in with his children, this is what it looked like in front of his house.

Amina wanted to know what was going on, so of course we went over to take a look. Treasure, treasure! I've been looking for a rug beater for the longest time and this is a good old sturdy one. (By the way, it is not a decorative object - it will beat rugs!)

And then there was the sturdy wood table with inlaid hand-painted tiles, and then there were the two club chairs - horsehair padding, solid springs.

We already have too many chairs, but Werner and I thought it a shame for them to simply go into the landfill, so we rescued them. Now we're hoping to give them away!! Any takers?

I think Germans could learn a lot from Americans about garage sales!

No comments: