
Werner and I did my birthday today. I think we had spent one other birthday of mine apart and one of his as well. Or two. Of mine. Or his. I don't really remember that so well and neither does he; that makes me feel a lot better about my ever-more-weak-and-holey memory.
Since I like decorated eggs, this picture appealed to me. Go figure.
Anyway, we made a date to go to an exhibit about Paula Modersohn-Becker, a German artist of the early 20th century who died 100 years ago this year. Hence the retrospective (click here).
She's a bit of a cult figure here - born in Dresden but Bremen was where she grew up and she lived in Worpswede (the artist's colony north of here that most all of you have visited) when she produced most of her work. She was only 31 when she died from an embolism just after the birth of her only child.
That she had painted so many portraits of women, children, and mothers and babes makes the exhibit a bit more touching.
One aspect of the exhibit compared her many portraits and self-portraits to paintings of ancient Egypt that were painted for mummies. It's a fascinating comparison and highlights how artists were influenced by earlier art and each other.
Afterwards we took in local artistic presentations of food - good old local comfort food in a charming restaurant in our most charming quarter - the Schnoor.


No comments:
Post a Comment